Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Prince Farley

Most everyone that knows me, knows that I am completely obsessed with dogs. I can't walk by one on the street without stopping to say "hi buddy!" and maybe trying to pet him/her, and sometimes I even take a picture. Yes, of someone else's dog. It's borderline sick...I'm aware. I just can't help it. Dogs are my weakness.

I had a beautiful, princess of a dog...my sweet Lalo. She doesn't live with me anymore, but I still think about her everyday, and miss her dearly...and I have talked about her frequently (still do!), but I don't think I've made mention NEARLY enough of another little pup. A little gentleman who has been a part of my life for almost 15 years. My adorable Farley. Or as I like to also call him, my little brother.
Farley (who is a 10-ish pound toy poodle) was born on April 11, 1996 and joined the Olson clan in June that same year back in Wisconsin. I still count the day we brought him home as one of the happiest of my life! And certainly of my childhood.

I was very hesitant that day...we had tried a couple of other dogs, but had to give them up just days/weeks after bringing them home because of my brother's allergies. So by the time my parents told me we were going to get a poodle, I think I basically said "I don't even want to get him...I'll just fall in love, and then have to say goodbye." But they assured me a poodle was the right dog for us, as they are hypo-allergenic and don't shed. It took some serious convincing, but I eventually got about halfway on-board with the idea, and agreed to make the 4 hour drive to go get him.

Well, clearly, this one stuck. Farley is still with us over 14 and 1/2 years later! Not quite as frisky as he used to be, but definitely still as sassy...maybe even a little more so in old age. He always gets what he wants. Maybe I learned some of that from him all those years ago...

Coming home anytime is wonderful for me, and especially during the holidays. I love being in the house with my parents and my brother and my little, non-human brother. We're quite the little group! I have been soaking up as much time with Farley as I possibly can while here...including letting him sit on my lap at the dinner table...during dinner:

(My brother artfully moved my food away and a candle closer...must be a photographer somewhere in there...)

I think we all wonder how long Farley will be with us - his 15th birthday is right around the corner! I certainly hope he's around until he's at least 20, assuming his quality of life remains. I just can't really picture being home (Wisconsin, Virginia, or wherever that is) with him not around...begging for people food, avoiding getting stepped on (it's tough being small!), wanting to be cuddled/held/sit on laps, and just being darn cute. I love that dog, very much. He really is a legitimate member of the family...a true Olson. (And not just because he loves cheese and beer)

(And for those of you who don't know yet, and are wondering if we named him in honor of the great Chris Farley - who also hailed from Wisconsin - we did not. Farley's name was actually Buddy for the first week or so of his time with us...his chart at the vet even said "Buddy" for his first visit. But we still just didn't feel like that name FIT him and his personality. Luckily, my brother was paging through a name-your-baby book one day, and stumbled on "Farley" which means "from the sheep meadow." It was perfect. He looked like a little sheep as a baby, and I think he responded to the name right away. And the rest is history.)

No comments:

Post a Comment