Tuesday, November 29, 2011

More Olson Family Fun

Here's the update on the last couple of days of Olson family fun...I was not disappointed even a little. It was another spectacular couple of days!

* We finished the gingerbread house...FINALLY. We got so ticked off at that darn house and its walls that caved in, that we gave up on it for a couple of days. We pretended like it wasn't even there. Hmpf. But then we finally broke down (my mom mostly), and finished it up...and here it is:

Looks pretty good. And doesn't taste too bad either. There is still about half of it left for the taking. But I have no worries about it getting finished...not in this family. My dad is actually talking about tearing down one of the walls as I type...

* We had a fabulous evening of wine and appetizers at la casa de AS! Absolutely gorgeous apartment that makes me miss my NYC apartment days...old brownstones, beautiful hardwood floors, crown molding, radiators....aaahhhhhhh, it's like home to me. I got a wee-bit tipsy there (we'll leave it at that), but I did get to meet Charlie, the pony...
Long story about him, but he's fabulous. If he didn't mean so much to AS, I probably would have smuggled him outta there.

* I went for my first post-Thanksgiving run today! It was not easy. My legs felt like logs made of concrete. I'm guessing it had something to do with all the wine and yummy food I've consumed over the past week...and the lowered levels of physicial activity perhaps? But I managed to squeeze out 4.2 miles. I'll take it. The only problem was that I forgot how dangerous the streets of NYC can be! I almost got hit 5 times by cars/taxis, I bumped into 2 pedestrians, I slipped and ate it on some wet leaves, annnnnnd I managed to run into this guy:
I don't want to talk about it. Or actually, I do. I was trying to avoid a woman with a stroller, because obviously the butthead on the other side of the sidewalk was NOT making a move to do so...and I over-compensated with my leap/quarter-turn move. And pretty much ran into this garbage can. Yup. Pretty ladylike. At least my hind quarters took the brunt of the blow, since I did the turn while I jumped...sometimes it pays to have a little extra junk in your trunk.

* And finally, we have the fussiest dog EVER. Farley has decided to stop eating, and boycott all dog food he is offered, and most of the human food offered as well. He is literally on a hunger strike (for whatever reason). I finally felt so awful last night about his forced starvation, that I made my mom walk with me to the nearest McDonald's to buy him hamburgers. He loves McDonald's hamburgers. So the strike ended (at least temporarily). Oy vey.

And on our walk back, I saw these adorable toy soldiers on 9th Street:
They're not meaningful in any other way. Just cute. I'm hoping that the residents of that brownstone didn't think I was casing out the joint by taking pictures of their house. (Although my mom and I did debate for the next 5 minutes about whether or not those soldiers could be stolen if someone really wanted to snag them...I said absolutely, she said no way...I'm no thief, but there would technically be only one way to find out who is right...do you get internet access in jail?)

No comments:

Post a Comment