Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Life Goal #1936...Accomplished!

Whoa baby....I DID IT!!! I accomplished one of my long-standing life goals. I read "Gone With the Wind"...all 1024 pages of super small print. Wahoo!!! See how happy I looked after finishing it last week in Virginia?!
It may have taken me a couple of months (I honestly can't even remember when I actually started reading it), and the book may have been with me for thousands of miles of travel, and in 7 different states, and countless hotel rooms...but I did it. And it feels sooooooo good.

"Gone With the Wind" has always been one of my top 3 favorite movies (often in the #1 spot), and I'm a total bookworm, so have always wanted to read the book too....but gosh, it was a daunting thought. I knew it would take me a real long time to get through it, and I didn't want to start and stop, and start and stop, or anything like that. So I knew I had to wait for the exact right moment, when my mind was in the exact right spot to really take the task on. I've owned that copy of the book for almost 10 years...but Spring 2011 was finally the right time!

It was much easier to read than I anticipated - I thought that the style of writing from the 1930s might trip me up a little, but for the most part it didn't. I cruised through it, and was sad every time I had to put it down....if only I had more reading time in my busy life!

Part of my fascination with GWTW has always been the character of Scarlett O'Hara. I just adore her. She's so imperfect, and sassy, and fights in any way to get what she wants, and is a super flirt, and smart, a stylish dresser (when possible), and is so ambitious that she can't possibly be happy NOT working (even when she had kids). She's a fighter. She's a lover. She's fantastic. And she has so many wonderful and memorable quotes...not least of which is the very last line of the book, seen here:

"After all, tomorrow is another day." Tomorrow always IS another day...I couldn't have said it better myself, Scarlett. You go, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment