Sunday, February 13, 2011

"South Beach, Bringin' the Heat"

I mean, what can I really say about Miami that isn't already known? It's beautiful, hip, sunny, fun, glamourous, fabulous, yada yada yada. Will Smith told us everything we'll ever need to know about it in his kick-butt hit "Miami" from 1998.

I don't want to be TOO obvious with what I write about my trip here...such as, I get to have fun with this guy:
And holy cow...isn't it lovely here?!

So instead, I thought I'd focus on all the cool/weird/funny/HILARIOUS things I've seen while spending a few glorious days here. Enjoy.

1. Fontainebleau Hotel (and giant beach complex) - thank goodness my brother reminded me that this is the hotel where Whitney Houston put the moves on Kevin Costner in "The Bodyguard." Whew...I might have missed a real special moment being there otherwise!

2. 16 years ago this March, my family set sail for the Bahamas on the Carnival Ecstasy cruise ship (amazing time was had by all!) out of the Port of Miami...my brother and I just so happened to see that very same ship heading out to sea on Saturday. (It was moving faster than I would have thought...this is the best photo I could get!) Much reminiscing followed...."Remember when we pretended it was your birthday at dinner so you'd get a flaming cake and the staff would sing to us?" and "Remember when I fell down that flight of stairs on the way to dinner when we hit a giant wave?!"
3. It's a little tough to see in my picture here, but apparently Feb. 13 is International Condom Day...which this little plane proudly proclaimed over Miami Beach...over and over again. Seems a little strange that this "holiday" is the day before Valentine's Day, doesn't it? Maybe we should just merge those 2 together to make things more efficient...

4. Although, after seeing this pharmacy that proudly proclaims they provide "Free HIV Testing Daily," maybe International Condom Day really should get its own 24 hours to spread the word. (How gross does this place look?)

5. We stumbled upon this guy meditating on the beach...and instead of thinking "What a great idea...good for him," I proceeded to make fun and break into yoga poses. I think I got a few chuckles from other passers-by, but blue shirt was waaaaaaay too deep into his meditating to notice.

6. This might be my favorite from the whole trip so far...a place called Pleasure Emporium (yes, it's exactly what you think it is), blatantly displays a neon sign that says "Parking in Rear." Does anyone else think that's either the cleverest placement or the best mistaken placement of info ever?!

7. On Ocean Drive in South Beach, there are a few super cool, old cars that are just parked permanently for people to check out...this one is the creepiest though, as it has a statue that I think is supposed to be James Dean (?) in it, and every single time we went by it I got scared. You'd think after the 6th time I'd remember he was in there...

8. Miami Sailing Week is coming up. And it's main sponsor is Bacardi. Um...really?! I feel like Miami shouldn't be promoting alcohol and sailing together...but that's just me.

Ahhhhh, life...there are so many entertaining things all around us each and every day. I try really hard to pay attention to my surroundings so I can catch all these amazing things!! Thanks for so many great moments, Miami...you are pretty wonderful!! I already can't wait for my next trip to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment