Friday, February 18, 2011

Party in Memphis

I've been working in Memphis for the past couple of weeks...and it's an interesting place, to say the least. Lots of great coworkers there, for sure - we've been having a pretty good time learning the ropes! I have 2 particularly funny things we found or overheard this week to share.

1. Elvis is EVERYWHERE in Memphis! Grocery stores, gas stations (actually on the gas pumps), posters....annnnnnd on wine bottles:

Yup, that's right...there is actually "The King of Rock 'n Roll" brand of wine! Awesome. And we thought it was pretty tasty too...but maybe we were just blinded by the picture of Elvis on the bottle.

2. Overheard at the sketchy Shell gas station by the airport in Memphis...to the best of my recollection...

(As I was waiting at the register for my credit card to be run for the rental car gas - nope, no credit cards taken at the pumps - and already laughing to myself because of the candy bowl at the register filled with condoms...right next to the gum...do you think that's like the penny bowl at most places? Take one, leave one? Eewwwwww...anyway...)

Random dude to clerk - "Hey...give me a box of the Magnums....extra sensitive."

(My face starts to turn red, and I already bite my lip to keep from busting out laughing)

Clerk to dude - "Extra sensitive?"

Dude - "Yeah...you know, the thinnest ones you've got. Yeeaaahhh."

Clerk grabs box, and then - "Like these?"

Dude - "Are those the thinnest you've got?"

Clerk - "Yes, sir."

Dude - "Damn. Um...okay then...nevermind. I'll just take the regulars. Yeeeaahhh."

Hahahahhaha....I seriously was thinking to myself, "Clerk, please run my card faster! I can't hold out this laughter much longer! Aaagggghhhh!" It was amazing. And the guy looked the part too. Whatever you're picturing in your head as you read that exchange...yup, that's probably right. Gold tooth and all.

I ran back to the rental car as fast as I could to relay the story to my 2 coworkers who were riding to the airport with me. We all busted a gut together at that point...and then continued to laugh about it, keep saying "yeeeaaaaaahh" to each other, etc. as we got to the airport, went through security, and hit up the Sky Club Lounge for some cocktails. Too funny.

I can't wait to go back for a couple more days...I'm sure there is even more fun in store for me and my fabulous coworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment