Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

I have a huge smile on my face tonight for two reasons:

1. Had a faaaaabulous dinner in downtown Portland with JP - we meant to do some work while we were there...but gabbed the whole time instead. Great drinks, great food, great weather/outdoor table, great city...great decision, for sure!
2. A random act of kindness for me.

I love when people do little unexpected things that are super nice and totally unnecessary. One of the new hires in my class this week did one for me this evening. It was the cutest thing.

During class today, I quoted some episode of "The Simpsons," which led him to ask me if I was a big fan. To which I replied, "Yes!" He then asked me if I knew about a bunch of the street names in Portland (where we are this week) being picked because of the show. I said that I didn't, but that sounded cool. He said, "Oh yeah, it's pretty cool. There's a bunch of them." And then he tried to tell me about some of them, but I got distracted by someone else asking me a question. And then I forgot about the entire thing by about 36 seconds later, space-cadet style.

But what do I find in my inbox earlier this evening? An email from him about it. He had done a little research online, and found some fun info about the street names, and examples, and compiled it and sent it to me. Just because. What a cutie-pa-tootie! He SO didn't need to do that, but he did anyway. How thoughtful. I loved it. And it totally reminds me of why I try to do random nice things for people too...it feels so good to have someone do something like that for you. And I like to try to be the reason that people I care about feel the way I did tonight when I found that. It's the littlest things sometimes that make such a great impact, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment