Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hallelujah...Love For All

Wearing my t-shirt finally worked!
Okay, I'm not actually going to pretend that one little person wearing a t-shirt had anything to do with this, but I still wear it proudly.  But thank you, American Apparel, for making such an important article of clothing.

Prop 8 was finally rejected today in California.  And it's about darn time.  It should not have taken this long, but I guess we can be happy that we got here.  Next up is a trip to the US Supreme Court.  So it's not like we're completely out of the water yet.  But in a ridiculous manner, we have to take baby steps for changes like this to be made.

What is wrong with our country that this debate is STILL going on?  Give me one good reason that two human beings who happen to be the same gender cannot get married.  Go ahead and try.  There isn't one.

I have an incredible friend, who happens to be gay, who doesn't always get excited about attending a wedding...because it's a bit sensitive.  Because he's not free to have that celebration when he wants.  That breaks my heart.  But can you blame him?  I adore weddings, and attend pretty much every one I'm invited to, and have a blast at each.  Yeah.  I'm a girl, who likes guys.  So I can have a wedding any old time I want to...and as many as I want.  Heck, I can fly to Vegas tonight, grab any old guy off the street, and marry him right then and there.  How is THAT allowed but gay marriage is such a debate?  Being heterosexual should NOT be a qualification for marriage.  Being a smart, caring, trustworthy, responsible, loving, and loyal individual should be.  But I guess it would be a lot harder to determine that instead of whether two people have the same or differing body parts, huh?

We have so many other things to be worried about in this country.  We should not be expending time, energy, and money on such a topic.  Land of the free?  Not until this gets taken care of, once and for all.  Come on, America.  We're better than this.

And if we need a visual reminder, look no further:
Yeah, two people really shouldn't be allowed to look this happy and full of life, love, and excitement, should they?  Wrong.  Let's worry about theft, and murder, and wars, and debt...and just let love live already.

(Ellen and Portia - I hope you don't mind me using you as my visual...I just couldn't help it.  Man, woman, it doesn't matter.  I just hope everyone can look that happy on their big day.  Everyone sure deserves to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment