Monday, February 13, 2012

We'll Still Always Sing Your Songs, Whitney

What horribly sad news this weekend that Whitney Houston passed away.  I know she's been in rough shape for awhile, but it was still surprising to me.  I, like most other girls anywhere near my age group, grew up belting out her songs.  Most notably "I Will Always Love You"...partly because I think it was her best, and partly because I loved The Bodyguard so very much.  (Great movie, but I also was under the assumption at that time that I actually had a chance of marrying Kevin Costner)

I actually teared up a few times during the Grammys last night.  I know that sounds silly, but at least I wasn't alone...I saw many celebrities there doing the same.  I also think I was a little extra emotional because of another death I had heard about just 2 days before.

Also very sadly, a man in my building killed himself late last week.  Apparently he was found in our boiler room.  I think knowing that has contributed at least partially to my lack of sleep over the last few days.  I know it wasn't someone else that brought that on him, but it is still very disturbing to know it happened just 14 floors down from where I live.  I hope he has found peace wherever he is now, but I just can't fathom a person getting to that point.

He very literally took his own life, but I feel as if Whitney Houston, more figuratively, took her own as well.  It's hard to picture being at a point in life where such self-destructive behavior seems like the best decision for oneself.  And did the people around them know?  It scares me to think that it could be possible that someone close to me is in a scary situation like that but I may not know it.  I would obviously want to do anything for a person that I could, but if you don't know, you're just about powerless.

I hope there aren't any more deaths to come soon, but I do kind of believe in the "happens in threes" stigma.  If that is, in fact, true...then there should be one more to come.  I don't like that situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment