Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Two Thumbs Up for the "3-Way"

Don't be gross....that is NOT what I mean, thank you very much! I'm referring to something much different, and extremely delicious.

So I ended up spending the majority of last weekend in Cincinnati with AK. It was a bit last-minute (story of my life, right?), but it ended up being super fun! I've only spent a little time in Cincy previously, most of it being 4 years ago when I was working in Dayton...we'd go to Cincy when we really wanted to have some fun.

Anyway, we crammed lots of good times into about 48 hours....here are the highlights (which will eventually lead to the 3-way):

1. The 5 hour drive there on Friday...with cheesy popcorn, beef jerkey, sunflower seeds, Sour Patch kids, Mountain Dew, a Pepsi slurpie, XM Radio, and sooooooo much singing and car dancing. It's amazing the dance moves you can pull off in a moving car.

2. Stopping at Walgreen's, CVS, and a super sketchy gas station, all within a 3 minute span

3. Going to the movie theater, pounding drinks in the theater bar in 15 minutes (3 between the 2 of us), and then FINALLY seeing "The Hangover - Part 2"....except that it was super disappointing! So much so, that yes, I fell asleep for awhile in the middle of it. Oops.

4. After the movie theater, heading to an amazing little place that I had never heard of before this last weekend...anybody ever heard of this place?

Skyline Chili. Wow. I believe they are only in the Indiana/Ohio area, so it's not surprising I hadn't heard of it before. There are multiple locations, but this is the one we showed up at around 1:00am after the movie:

I think it might be one of the original (if not the one) locations. They kind of have their own language there, so AK coached me before we went, so I would understand the lingo and hopefully fit in. What they're so known for is their chili, which is a special recipe that includes things like cinnamon and chocolate...but you would never really know it. Sounds a little strange...but it's DELICIOUS! So good. And then their signature dishes are the Cheese Coney and the 3-Way. Pictured here (Cheese Coneys on the left, 3-Way on the right):

I devoured it. And would have finished it all, if he hadn't told me halfway through my 3-Way that I would most likely have a stomach-ache from it the next day at some point. It didn't sound pleasant. So I got nervous and stopped about 2/3 of the way through it. Stupid move. I felt fine all day Saturday, and I threw out the rest of that goodness. Boo.

5. Also eating lunch at a different Skyline location on Sunday before leaving town (had to get one more fix!)

6. Buying lanterns....but really wanting the fancy wine cooler that can completely chill a can of beer in one minute flat...whoa.

7. Backing out of the most narrow driveway ever...and NOT running over any grass

8. The "couples shower"....still not 100% sure what that is...but I totally approve of it after the experience on Saturday night! So much fun.

9. Learning what "beer monster" is...haven't tried it yet, but intend to sometime very soon

10. The 4 and 1/2 hour drive back to Chicago on Sunday (oh yeah...made better time on the way back!)....see #1 from above. Basically the same as that...just a little more tired this time after all the fun.

Super great time! And then we capped it all off with an al fresco evening in downtown Chicago on Sunday. Yummy appetizers, incredible entrees (best fish tacos ever!), and a few too many of these:
Mmmmmmmmm....dirty martinis with blue-cheese stuffed olives? The best. It was perfection. And yes...we did both make our flights on Monday morning, even after the martinis. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment