Monday, January 31, 2011

Make...Brain...Rest...

As many of you know, I was wonderfully excited to be working in Portland, OR this week...there are many reasons to be excited about that, but the biggest for me was the gift of being able to work in my home time zone for a week - JOY! I had grand plans for actually getting decent sleep during this week on the road because for once my body wouldn't be totally confused about where it was, what time it was supposed to sleep, and why I was waking it up at what it felt to be 3:00am (like it is when I'm working on the east coast).

But alas...night #1 last night = fail. I went to bed at about 9:30pm, which I know seems early, but I was still in major recovery mode from a 9 hour bar crawl the previous afternoon/evening. (Tons of fun...I'm still rounding up pictures...soon to come) I slept solidly for a bit, and then woke up feeling like I was still exhausted, but also like it was time to get up. Um, nope. It was 1:18am. I then proceeded to toss and turn and fidget and groan until about 6:15am when I got up. Dark circles under eyes? Check.

I love, respect, and appreciate my body...but seriously...what the hell?! Why can I still not sleep well even when I'm totally exhausted and spent, have a full belly (awesome dinner with my boss last night), and am in my own time zone? What more does it want to just sleep?!

I have a hunch it's my age old can't-turn-my-brain-off-ever problem. I just have so many things going on right now, that my mind just never stops spinning. But how does a person fix that problem? Is it even fixable? Aside from knocking myself unconscious with a sledge-hammer...what can I do?! I so desperately need some rest!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 suggestions:

    1 -- yoga and meditation :-)
    2 -- I just read this article yesterday: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2011/01/how-to-finally-get-better-sleep.html

    ReplyDelete