Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Heart NYC

Is it strange that I still get CRAZY excited anytime I find out I'm going to New York City? I mean, I lived there for 4 and 1/2 years, experienced a ton, loved pretty much everything about that magical island, but the Big Apple and I definitely had our ups and downs ("$2.50 for one yogurt?! Really NYC?! Really?!?!") I guess I would have thought that my childlike excitement would have died down after living there for so long...that is, however, extremely false.

I woke up early this morning to a chain of totally unexpected emails - yes, I read emails on my Blackberry as soon as I wake up...while still in bed...sometimes barely half awake - that completely changed my week next week. I was originally thinking I'd get to work from home (hooray for catching up on all the work I can't get to while on the road!)...then I was planning to head to Texas to provide training for work (yeehaw!)...and then this morning I found out I'm now heading to NYC instead (the fair city that I love more than words can say!). Pure craziness. But instead of being stressed about a last minute change, or the long flights back and forth, I just felt pure excitement to get back to my dear NYC.

I guess NYC will just always have a special place in my heart. I dreamt of living there from a pretty early age (around 12, I believe), and eventually just knew that I absolutely HAD to live there. As soon as humanly possible. And I did it - I landed a great job, and moved from Wisconsin to the Upper West Side of Manhattan just a short 11 days after graduating from college. I didn't waste any time. And it was amazing. I knew from the moment my moving truck crossed the bridge to the island of my dreams (I'll be forever grateful to my dad for driving me out there), I was where I belonged. My own little piece of Heaven.

I don't know what the future holds...maybe I'll get to live in NYC again (which would be incredible). But even if I don't, I think I'll always get a twinkle in my eye when I hear anything about my favorite place in the world, and especially when I hear that I'm going back. Oh NYC...I love you dearly...and always will.

1 comment:

  1. I regret not coming to visit when you lived in NYC. It's so much fun to experience a city from a locals perspective. If you move back, I'm coming for a weekend!

    ReplyDelete