Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Sick Room

I was caged up today.  All day.  Which means I was restless...whenever I was awake anyway.

This girl woke up pretty sick this morning, and in a hotel room, no less.  I really dislike being sick while in hotels.  The job I have means that happens to me more than most people though, so it's not the first time.  I guess the silver lining is that I am currently in a very sweet suite (I had to do it) in a cool old hotel in downtown Boston.  Check this place out:

I spent a lot of time here today.  Too much.
One of the best benefits of being caged up in a suite is that I have multiple rooms to spend time in while stuck here.  I can roam from my separate bedroom to the living room and back again.  So much freedom!  Okay, not really.  But it sure beats being in a regular hotel room with zero options.  I'll take what I can get.

I haven't caught up on here in awhile because my schedule has been too ridiculously packed, with work and an impossible social line-up.  While I've been thoroughly enjoying myself (so much fun to be had in this life!), I also think that all probably put me in the spot I'm in.  I have been forgetting to get enough sleep and drink enough water and just take care of myself.  One's body will only put up with so much of that.

I started to get sick last Thursday, but felt quite a bit better by Friday afternoon.  So obviously I was all better then, right?  WRONG.  But I interpreted that as me being fine, so cram-packed my social calendar for the weekend.  (And was already coming off of a couple of late nights from during the work week!)

Thursday - Book Club with 10 fabulous ladies.  Wonderful time.  Excellent company, good food, and yummy wine.  (Perhaps a tad too much...)

Friday - Dinner and drinks with my dear MD, who was in Chicago staying with me for Friday night.  We had so incredibly much to catch up on that we (accidentally?) went through 3 bottles of wine at dinner.  Just the 2 of us.  Annnnnnnd then went out after that.  I probably don't need to say much more about that.

Saturday - Got out of bed for good finally at 5:00pm.  Yup.  That happened.  Then got showered and ready, and headed back out for dinner with 2 of my favorite guys, MH and JB.  Love them so much that dinner spilled right into going out for the rest of the night.  Had a blast, and then finally went to bed at....4:30am.  Oops.

Sunday - Finally got moving around 2:00pm.  Showered, cleaned, packed for the week on the road, etc.  Then went to a bar to watch football with some people around 5:30pm.  Stuck with it until the Giants kicked that OT field goal to clinch their Superbowl spot.  And then celebrated the win for awhile after.

Now, don't get me wrong.  This is NOT my life every weekend, but I do enjoy at least a portion of that every weekend.  Notice the lack of sleep in there, and physical activity (blah), and consumption of vegetables.  Okay, the vegetables wasn't spelled out clearly, but trust me...there were almost none involved.

I opted out of New Year's resolutions this year (on purpose), but since it's still January, and I'm yucky sick....I think maybe I should still sneak one in there.  To take better care of myself.  Plain and simple.  I just get so caught up in my job, my travels, and my social life that I forget to include certain healthy things in my life.  Namely sleep, but others too.  I owe myself better than that!  So in 2012 I need to find a balance of all those things in my life.  Because you know what?  Being sick in a hotel room in a city you don't know (but want to explore more) while your coworkers are all together (and bowling tonight...I'm missing bowling!) is the pits.

I'm going to pop some NyQuil and hope for a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment